How to register a Hospital or any other Medical Institution in Kenya – So you have been thinking of registering a hospital or a nursing home? Here is what you need. Registration for medical institution is done by the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board. The mandate of the board is to register and ensure that all medical institutions may it be a hospital, nursing home, maternity Home, Health center, Dispensary, Laboratory are duly registered and run according to the laws and regulations of Kenya.
Requirements for Opening up a Medical Institution.
- Provide the company/ business registration certificate
- Obtain forms from the board fill in the forms. The forms should be filled in with the help of an area medical officer or the county (provincial) medical officer. For example if the medical institution is in Mombasa, the Mombasa area/country medical officer should be also to help you with the process.
- Submit separate inspection report with relevant details signed by the inspection team.
- Provide certified copies of professional qualifications of all medical personnel working there e.g. Private practice license for doctors and nurses and their registration certificate.
- Provide building architectural plans that must be signed by relevant authorities
- In case of hospitals, to provide mortuary/storage facilities for dead bodies
- There must be a clear drainage system and accessibility to the facility
- In case of hospital, a pharmacy run by a qualified pharmacist/pharmaceutical technologist must be in place
- It is the responsibility of the proprietor/ Administration/ Director to ensure that
- The facility is kept clean
- Institution license is up to date
- Health professionals working there in are registered/ licensed appropriately
The license fees to pay depends on the type of facility that one is putting up however there is an application fee for Kshs 1,000.
We wish you a Smooth Medical Institution set up process. Feel free to Contact Us for more details on how to register a Hospital or any other Medical Institution