New Company & Branch Registration Process in Kenya for Foreigners – Are you looking to start a Business in Kenya? Here are the guidelines that you would need to know.
There are two ways for you to register a company as a foreigner, one as a limited company and the other as a subsidiary company.
For a limited Company (LLC) / Subsidiary
The new procedures now allow a single person to register a limited Company as a Foreigner; this means you do not need a Kenyan director to co-own the company with you. You can own the company 100%.
The Registration process is as follows:
First you have to avail at least 3 names on which we are going to conduct a Name Search to ensure that the name is available for you. If the names are available we will continue with the process, which includes you providing the following
1. Copy of your valid Travel Passport
2. Passport size Photo
3. Telephone Number, Physical, email and Postal Addresses of the Directors
4. Occupation of the Foreign Shareholder(s)
5. Shares apportionment percentage incase the company has More than 1 Director.
Once you have all the requirements we go ahead and fill in the CR1, CR2, CR8 and the statement of nominal capital, which you are required to sign and send back to us to finish the process.
If the process is successful you will be issued with a Certificate of Incorporation and CR12. You will use the certificate of incorporation to register with the Kenya Revenue Authority for the company Pin number.
Registering a Branch Company
A Branch Company is an Entity that is not any Different from the Parent Company with a Name and Activities Exactly as the Parent Company and its Liabilities extends to the Parent Company. In Short, A branch is just an Extension of the Parent Company.
The process of Registration is similar to the limited Company mentioned above however you would need to avail the following documentations.
1. Certified copies of the parent Company’s Certificate of Incorporation
2. Certified copies of the Charter, Statutes or Memorandum and Articles of Association of the parent Company
3. List of the Directors of the Parent Company giving the following particulars: Full Names, Postal address, Nationality and Business Occupation
4. Name(s) and Postal Address of one or more persons resident in Kenya authorized to accept service on behalf of the company.
5. Full address of the Registered or Principal office of the parent company.
6. Full address of the place of Business in Kenya.
If the process is successful you will be issued with a Compliance Certificate. You will use the Compliance Certificate to register with the Kenya Revenue Authority for the company Pin number.
Kindly Click on this link to read more on the differences between Branch and Subsidiary